Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Gary Gygax Memorial Home for Gaming Retirees


"Hope I die before I get old..." - Pete Townshend

Not necessarily, Pete.

When people talk about what they're going to do when they're old and gray, I think back to my youth. My Mom worked a lot in retirement and nursing homes. I think about those old guys and gals huddled around tables playing cards and sipping crude-oil-thick coffee for eight hours a day, and think - they could get a lot of gaming in!

I'm predicting 2040 sees the first formally dedicated retirement home for RPG players. Probably in Boca Raton, FL. What do you think?

On a related note, I see a lot of frustrated GMs on the interwebs lamenting the difficulty in getting a gaming group together. Ever think of volunteering at your local Nursing Home or Retirement Community (the picture above is one near my office, looks like Hogwarts!)? Can you imagine running a game for a bunch of folks that grew up reading Weird Tales every day after school? Something to think about...

9 comments:

  1. LRPG Call of Cthulhu!

    It would sure scare the bejeebies out of the nursing staff.

    Nurse: "Mr GW, is that a fish under coat?"
    GW: "I am the hidden spawn of Yogshaggloth, awaiting my time of awakening."
    Nurse: " ... "

    Ciao!
    GW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, but once you get pissed off at your fellow gamers you can actually kick them out of your game!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea. Just don't ever raise your voice for dramatic effect. One "BOOM" and you'll be looking for a few new players.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm . . . A retirement complex for Gamemasters passed their prime? I can dig it! :) Although you're talking a deep future, well . . . maybe I will when I live to be 100 or so.

    Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea. I always joked with my original band of gamers that while we were splitting up to go to different colleges, jobs, countries, etc... we would all meet back up in the retirement home for another game :)

    I also like the graphics change - good pic - it's a favorite of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a friend who wants to run one of these someday, it's kinda an amazingly cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh please let these exist when I hit that age.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in; it would rule to be sitting around with nothing to do but game. And goose nurses with my cane.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We need large print character sheets and rulebooks now !

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...