Friday, April 10, 2009

Gaming Inspiration!


If you're like me and enjoy perusing used-book stores for lost treasures, always be sure to check the "various" section. I've found several anthologies of old pulp-fantasy short stories (like the one pictured above), and they're an absolute treat to read.

One of my favorite parts of coming back to rules-lite old-school systems is that my "prep time" is no longer devoted to squinting at stat-blocks and re-memorizing grapple rules for the 19th time. Now my prep time is a pulp fantasy short story. One before each session. I've found that it ensures I'm never lacking for ideas when the players take a surprise turn, and I'm able to bring a more immersive and atmospheric narrative to the game. Whereas 4 or 5 years ago I dreaded prep time for my 3.5 game, now I catch myself sneaking in a little extra time when I can, and I've read a whole of really cool stuff over the last couple of years.

3 comments:

  1. Great anthology. I'm pretty partial to the first two volumes of Lin Carter's FLASHING SWORDS! too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a particularly good one. I was pleasantly surprised to find a Cappen Varra(sp?) story in there, a character that was apparently ported over to Thieves' World (though the story from the above volume must predate Thieves' World by some 20 years!), which is one of my favorite fantasy short-story volumes, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Got this one at a library book sale. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...